Senior Research Scientist
G. Anil Kumar holds PhD in Demography from the University of Kerala, India and has training in biostatistics. Dr. Kumar has been involved in several major epidemiology studies on HIV/AIDS, injuries, mortality, and maternal and child health, and in health system research for over a decade. He has extensive skills in quantitative analytical methods. Dr. Kumar has successfully developed a data management system to create and manage databases for large-scale studies. He directs the data across the research studies and oversees its validation. Dr. Kumar’s current interests are to contribute to research on subnational disease burden and health systems in India.
He has nearly 50 publications in peer-reviewed international and national journals. Dr. Kumar has been a co-investigator on grants from the Wellcome Trust, UK and the National Institutes of Health, USA. Dr. Kumar was awarded the Endeavour Research Fellowship from the Government of Australia in 2009.He has trained several data management staff and research fellows in statistical techniques, and database creation and management.
Prior to joining PHFI, he was with the George Institute for International Health – India, Hyderabad, and has also worked at Administrative Staff College of India in Hyderabad and Mahatma Gandhi Medical College in Pondicherry. Dr. Kumar was also involved in research on strengthening the implementation of Reproductive and Child Health programme in the state of Kerala.
- Kumar GA, Dandona R, Chaman P, Singh P, Dandona L. A population-based study of neonatal mortality and maternal care utilization in the Indian state of Bihar. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 2014; 14: 357.
- Kochar PS, Dandona R, Kumar G, Dandona L. Population-based estimates of still birth, induced abortion and miscarriage in the Indian state of Bihar. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2014; 14: 413.
- Kumar GA, Dandona R,Alary M, Dandona L. Predictors of HIV prevalence among street-based female sex workers in Andhra Pradesh state of India: a district-level analysis.BMC Women’s Health 2014, 14:65.
- Dandona L, Kumar GA, Lakshmi V, Ahmed GM, Akbar M, Ramgopal SP, Sudha T, Alary M, Dandona R. HIV incidence from the first population-based cohort study in India. BMC Infectious Diseases 2013; 13: 327.
- Kumar SGP, Kumar GA, Poluru R, Schneider JA, Dandona L, Lakshmi V, Sudha T, Mayer KH, Dandona R. Contact with HIV prevention programmes & willingness for new interventions among truckers in India. Indian J Med Res 2013; 137: 1061-1071.
- Kumar GA, Dilip TR, Dandona L, Dandona R. Burden of out-of-pocket expenditure for road traffic injuries in urban India. BMC Health Services Research 2012; 12:285.
- Kumar GA, Dandona R, Kumar SGP, Dandona L. Behavioral surveillance of premarital sex among never married young adults in a high HIV prevalence district in India. AIDS & Behaviour 2011 Jan; 15(1):228-35.
- Raban Z, Dandona R, Kumar GA, Dandona L. Inequitable coverage of non-communicable disease and injury interventions in India. National Medical Journal of India 2010 Sep-Oct; 23(5): 267-73.
- Dandona R, Kumar SGP, Kumar GA, Lakshmi V, Dandona L. HIV testing among adults in a high prevalence district in India. National Medical Journal of India 2009; 22:289-293.
- Dandona R, Kumar GA, Ameer MA, Ahmed GM, Dandona L. Incidence and burden of road traffic injuries in urban India. Injury Prevention 2008;14:354-359.
- Dandona R, Kumar GA, Ameer MA, Reddy BN, Dandona L. Under reporting of road traffic crashes to the police: comparison of two data sources from urban India. Injury Prevention 2008;14:360-365.
- Dandona L, Lakshmi V, Sudha T, Kumar GA, Dandona R. A population-based study of human immunodeficiency virus in south India reveals major differences from sentinel surveillance-based estimates. BMC Medicine 2006; 4: 31.
- Dandona R, Dandona L, Gutierrez JP, Kumar GA, McPherson S, Samuels F, Bertozzi SM, ASCI FPP Study Team. High risk of HIV among non-brothel based female sex workers in India. BMC Public Health 2005; 5:87.
- Dandona L, Dandona R, Gutierrez JP, Kumar GA, McPherson S, Bertozzi SM, ASCI FPP Study Team. Sex behaviour of men who have sex with men and risk of HIV in Andhra Pradesh, India. AIDS 2005;19:611-619.