Dr.Giridhara R Babu is member of first batch of future faculty program of PHFI and has been with foundation since April 2006. Giridhar is a PhDc in Epidemiology from UCLA Jonathan and Karin Fielding School of Public Health with his doctoral research in Non Communicable Diseases. Earlier, He completed MPH in Epidemiology from the same school at UCLA. He has Post Graduate Diploma in Medical Law and Ethics from National Law School of India University, Bangalore. He also has MBA in Hospital Administration. He graduated (M.B.B.S) from Kasturba Medical College, Manipal with high academic excellence.
Giridhar started his work experience as Junior Resident at the Centre for Community Medicine and the Department of Blood Bank at All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi. Subsequently, he joined World Health Organization and worked for more than 5 years. As State SMO for WHO-NPSP, he was responsible for leading efforts to stop Polio transmission in the state of Karnataka, constituting State Core Group on Routine Immunization in Karnataka for initiating advocacy efforts for Measles surveillance in India. He was offered National Measles coordinator with WHO-NPSP before he joined PHFI. Before joining IIPH-H, Giridhar worked as Special Reader with Dr's Jorn Olsen, Roger Detels and Beate Ritz for their academic courses taught at UCLA and as Research Associate with Dr. Roger Detels.
With nearly 6 years of experience in infectious diseases and doctoral level research in NCD’s, he is positioned to learn the dynamics of dual burden in LMIC’s such as India. He is a currently a member of the Charter Class of Certified in Public Health by the National Board of Public Health Examiners, USA. He served as a member of the committee constituted by the Government of Karnataka to create a Public Health cadre and department in the state. He is the editor-in-chief for Internet Journal of Epidemiology and is an active peer reviewer for high impact journals in Epidemiology and Public health.
Areas of interest :
Epidemiology methods, Child health, Occupational Health and Public health in LMIC
- Giridhara R Babu, Do you see an elephant or just its trunk? The need of learning Modern Epidemiologic Methods: An introduction. The Internet Journal of Epidemiology. 2012 Volume 10 Issue 2
- Giridhara R Babu, Tanmay Mahapatra, Mohammad Akhtar Hussain, Sanjay Kumar. Epidemiologic Methods for Practice by Obstetricians in Developing Countries - I. The Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology of India. [Accepted]
- Giridhara R Babu, Roger Detels. Prioritizing Social actions and involving community for prevention of the non-communicable diseases. The Internet Journal of Epidemiology. 2011 Volume 9 Number 3. [In Press]
- Giridhara R Babu, Goleen Samari, Sharon Phoebe Cohen, Tanmay Mahapatra, Randa May Wahbe, Sherin Mermash, Osman M Galal. Breast cancer screening among females in iran and recommendations for improved practice: a review. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2011;12:1647-55.
- Giridhara R Babu, Jørn Olsen, Sayantee Jana, Siddhartha Nandy, Muhammad N Farid, Sadhana SM, Shridhar Kadam. Evaluation of Immunization Services in high-risk district in India. Int. J. Med. Public health, Jul-Sep, Vol 1, Issue 3, 2011, 17-21. doi: 10.5530/ijmedph.3.2011.4
- Giridhara R Babu. India’s Tryst With Creation of Public Health Cadre. Annals of Tropical Medicine and Public Health. Jul-Dec 2011.Vol 4,Issue 2. P.no. 148-149.
- Giridhara R Babu. “Opportunities for improving public health system in India”: analysis of current state of affairs and pointers for future. Annals of Tropical Medicine and Public Health, Jul-Dec 2011, Vol 4, Issue 2. P.no 69-70.
- Giridhara R Babu , Jorn Olsen , Sayantee Jana ,Siddhartha Nandy, Muhammad Farid , VJ Sadhana. Evaluation Of Immunization Cards And Parental Recall Against Gold Standard For Evaluating Immunization Coverage. The Internet Journal of Epidemiology. 2011 Volume 9 Number 2
- Giridhara R Babu , G.V.S.Murthy. "To Use or Not to Use"- Dilemma of developing countries in introducing new vaccines. J Global Infect Dis 2011;3:406-7 web: http://www.jgid.org/text.asp?2011/3/4/406/91071
- Giridhara R Babu, V. Singh, S. Nandy, S. Jana, S. TN & S. SM : Supportive Supervision And Immunization Coverage: Evidence From India.. The Internet Journal of Epidemiology. 2011 Volume 9 Number 2. The Internet Journal of Epidemiology. 2011 Volume 9 Number 2